Saturday, October 21, 2006

Homeland security?



What does homeland security mean to me? I know the attacks of 9/11 were terrible and all that, but the response to it has been disproportionate in my opinion. I personally have never been assaulted by a terrorist, at least one of the standard definition. But I have dealt with monsters that repesent a greater threat to the average person than the critters that our brave leaders are pursuing. One of them is the constant threat of wildfire. After having lived through the Cedar Fire of 2003, to see the amount of money being spent on border fences and now a surveilance tower for the local shopping mall is sickening. How dare they waste that money on useless props!
Crest had over 300 homes burned to the ground in that fire and now the East County Fire Protection District is going to close for a lack of funds? What does it take to get some serious involvement here on the part of our government? Maybe a letter from "Fire" stating it's intention to burn us all out? I'm sick of our local Board of Supervisors rubber stamping development that dilutes our local resources and then to be told that there is nothing that can be done to save the fire department. I'm sick of Duncan "Duke of Virginia" Hunter ( tax cheat ) spending our childrens inheritance on that stupid assinine fence while his constituents burn!

3 Comments:

At 10/21/2006 9:35 AM, Blogger peter said...

i think it is all just a con game. this TV show: power of nightmares is good. i think the right and the left are just trying to manipulate everything but don't look at that man behind the curtain! I am the great and powerful [name here]!

 
At 10/21/2006 2:52 PM, Blogger Paul said...

I don't want any money from them, just some representation for my taxation. We do pay property taxes for services such as fire protection so I don't think it is unreasonable to expect some kind of return. Our schools suck, our roads suck, pretty much the entire infrastructure sucks! We were left to burn, while most of the support went to more allfuent areas.
I remember back into "last century" when there were slow growth initiatives based on maintaining a decent quality of life for the area and you should have heard the name calling.....Nimbys!.......Chicken Littles!.....Tree huggers!.
Oh yeah and we were told all about how growth was GOOD for everyone and it paid for itself! Oh and "We need the jobs!".
Well fuck them. Most of the development in the last 2 decades was done by out of town developers who took the money and ran. The only ones to truly profit, not counting the politicians.

 
At 10/22/2006 12:26 PM, Blogger Blue said...

Wow Paul, great links. Looks like I'm gonna have to walk thru Parkway Plaza with my finger raised from now on. Yeah, the middle one.

Seriously, that picture of the fire brought it back home. And with our lack of rain so far this year, I seriously get nervous when October weather rolls around. I don't ever want to see another firestorm like that. Doesn't look like we have learned anything from the Cedar Fire. If anything, we're less prepared with fewer resources.

Nice rant in your comment above, BTW! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

I am a
Daffodil

What Flower
Are You?