Thursday, July 24, 2008

Well, just LOOK at her!


8 years ago this summer,
we were taking care of a friend who had suffered a stroke,
and during the course of interviewing for an aide,
our dear friend gave an absolute "NO" to one of the interviewees.
I asked her, why?
"Well, just because"
I asked her again, why?
"Because!"
Again I asked, why?
"Well, just LOOK at her!"
I've been looking at her during the whole interview and I see a qualified, willing worker who's here and dressed for work!
What do YOU see?
She didn't answer and she didn't have to,
it was because the woman had "colored skin"
The applicant was a self identified mestizo.
My wife is grey(once dark blond or light auburn) with blue eyes with the ruddy fair skin.
However...
she is meti, as well.
"But I am the same as she is!"
The difference was lost upon us.
The woman was auburn with green eyes and olive skin.
"Huff, Huff!"
"I chose my husband so that we had blond or red haired children with blue eyes."
Her steel blue eyes flashed, and the pure white hair sparkled.
"Of course, I am not racist..."
We both knew her to be a liberal, environmentalist feminist
(she even supported the campaign against the bombing of El Salvador...),
or so we thought.
An admitted Eugenicist?


So flash forward now to this past week,
while talking on the phone with a another friend.
" I won't vote for Obama" she said.
Why?
"just because"
What do you mean, because why?
"I don't trust him"
Why?
"because he's black and you know about that black attitude!"
What do you mean?
"Their hostility"
"His pastor was a flaming black bigot"
Oh, are you aware how long my family has been in the New World?
"But this is different!"
Is it? There are relatives with no last names in North Carolina. That means they were slaves,
either Indian women who were the first slaves in the New World or
Africans of which it is known that the white husbands possessed.
Most of us here in the US are like this, a combination of different peoples,
and most people are not white even if they self identify as such.
They are mixed blood. Americans.
"Well I am not prejudiced. I have a black friend with that black attitude, and I do not want that in my president."
Have you told your "friend" this? I thought,
as I reconsider our friendship.

Listen here.....
"Skin deep"

See, the thing of it is............
Look at what we have in the white house now!
He's "white",
he's male,
and he's dumb as a post!
And trustworthy ????????????????????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

I am a
Daffodil

What Flower
Are You?